Here's a one more simple jhatphat recipe which can add flavor to any meal.. Fresh mango pickle. It can be prepared instantly and tastes amazing with parathas and can also add zing to your daily meal..
I had to make this pickle and enjoy last few days of enjoying raw mangoes.. Thinking about this fresh raw mangoes marinated with mix of spices, sitting in my fridge waiting to be devoured, makes my mouth water.....
I have vivid memories of me and my cousins running around our home in our native places hunting for the mangoes. When we used to hear loud "thump",we used to run across the courtyard trying to find the ripe mango and eat it. Our home in Konkan is the most peaceful place I have ever been to.. Its a typical konkani village with laid back people and people ever willing to help you.
Summer vacations are the perfect time to be there, you will be blessed with loads of mangoes, karvanda, and fresh fruits. Nothing beats the pleasure of lying down on the terrace of the home and staring out at the black sky which is sparkling with lots n lots of stars against the silhouettes of tall coconut trees moving in rhythm with cool breeze. If you just stand still and listen, you can hear a veritable symphony of crickets and other night insects with all the buzzing, chirping, whirring and humming. We barely get to see few stars in the polluted skies in our cities.. But there, one can experience complete darkness with only moonlight to guide you in the nights. Sometimes, its good to feel complete darkness around you, you can then feel the light inside you...
- 1 mango
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oilMethod:
- Clean and dry glass bottle or ceramic jar with an air-tight lid
- Wash the mangoes. Cut it into tiny pieces
- Grind the mustard, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chillies to fine powder.
- Add this ground spice mixture along with the oil to the mangoes in the bottle
- Mix well with a dry spoon and close the bottle with an air tight lid and you can enjoy the pickle after 3 hours or if you are impatient like me, you can eat some immediately, it still tastes great.
- This pickle should be stored in the refrigerator and used within 3 weeks, since it is a fresh pickle and has no preservatives. I have made this pickle using just 1 mango which is makes ¾ cup of pickle.