Eggless ChocoChip Muffins


                     The holy month of Shravan is coming up and its the time when most of Indians abstain from eating non vegetarian food. Its during this month, when you start craving for forbidden stuff, cakes being one of them. So here's the eggless chocochip muffins for taking care of your cravings in Shravan and for my lots of friends who dont eat egg..
                     We are waiting for couple of friends who are coming over,, Yuppie, ya thats the reaction I have when I learn guests are dropping in. I am super thrilled, as I will be able to cook something special for special people as well as I don't have to worry about the calories, they get shared ;).
                        And the second most important reason is we love having people around... Right from childhood, I am used to a house filled sometimes overfilled with people... Whenever I visit Mumbai, I am so glad to meet loads of friends and family. Me and Neil make up our quota of family n friends fun time. Staying in Bangalore since past 3 years, its like staying in desert with no family and few friends around. Its sometimes depressing, not being able to even chat about simple things like weather to anyone. Well it does have its pros as well.. You can do whatever you want whenever you desire. There is no one judging you..
                   Ok, back to the recipe, decided to make eggless muffins filled with chocolate. It is an experiment turned out good, its my first ever attempt with eggless baking , so I substituted eggs with bananas and curd and added baking soda to the mix. Baking soda acts with sour substances to give raise to muffins. The bananas I used were elachi ones and ripe. I didnt use overripe bananas, as I didnt want banana flavor to dominate, just a hint of banana was enough for this cake. Also added oil as fat instead of butter, bit more healthier option.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cup of all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • a pinch of salt
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 3 ripe elachi bananas/ 2 medium bananas
  • ½ cup curd
  • 4 tbsp of vegetable oil
  • ½ cup chocolate buttons
  • almond slivers for garnish
  • Sift all purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. I sifted the mixture for 2-3 times. this ensures well mixing of baking soda and baking powder. If the soda and baking  powder isn't well distributed and lumps are present, you will land up some areas of muffin with soapy taste. You sure don't want that.....
  • In a measuring cup or glass bowl add curd, oil and mashed bananas and whisk to form paste. 
  • Add sugar to flour mix and mix all together. I added granulated sugar as it adds crunch to the muffin.
  • Mix wet paste into the flour mix and combine with a silicon spatula, just incorporating wet paste into dry flour. DO NOT OVERBEAT....
  • Now comes the best part, adding the gorgeous  chocolate buttons or choco chips to the mix and gently fold them in. I have got hold of nestle toll house choco chips which are bigger than the chocolate chips found in India. Bigger the Better. 
  • Spoon the batter in muffin covers in the muffin pan.Garnish with slivered almonds. They get slowly roasted andadd nice crunch to these yummilicious muffins..
  • Bake at 180 C for about 20 mins, till the skewer comes out clean when you insert in the middle of muffin. The skewer might get chocolate spread on it, that's ok as this indicates your choco chips have melted and add more oomph to muffins
  •  I made 6 large muffins and 4 mini muffins. You can also make 6 extra large muffins.. Like I said earlier, Bigger the Better...








Enjoy.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cashew Coffee Cake

Masala paneer wheels

Mango Masti